Monday, January 17, 2011

Japanese felt

When we first explored San Francisco's Japantown I was delighted to discover some real 100 yen stores, like Daiso. Sure we can't pay in actual yen but the stuff they sell is the same stuff as in the 100 yen stores back in Japan. The only thing missing was felt. Before I knew where to find craft stores in Osaka I used felt from 100 yen stores, and the quality of that felt was great, much better than the eco-fi they sell here in California.

But we've discovered another Daiso in downtown San Francisco, and I was overjoyed to find that they did have a small sewing section selling real Japanese quality felt and even some cute patterned felt.

When I was still in Japan, I envisioned huge American craft stores with limitless colors of (high-quality) felt, buttons, embroidery floss, ribbon, and much, much more. I loved Osaka's ABC Craft, but I believed things would be more impressive in the States. But so far small and big American craft stores have been messy and dirty, with a limited variety of low quality products. 

Well, at least there's that little Daiso store on Market and I think I'm going to have to start looking for online suppliers. And if I ever move back to Japan, I'm going to add a big supplies section to my Etsy store so that everyone can enjoy Japan's high quality and large variety of crafting products.

No comments:

Post a Comment