Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Camp Moxie


1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hi everyone! My name is Ashley Crenshaw and I live in beautiful Colorado. I am a wife to an amazing husband, and mother to a toddler who’s… well, a toddler and a boy (should explain it all). I love my boys! J I also luuuurve to create and craft, like nonstop. My favorite hobby right now is treasure hunting. I’ve been on the hunt for goods to re-create, re-vamp and sell in my etsy shop, Camp Moxie. More personally, I will normally be found drinking Diet Coke by day, and green tea at night, flashing hot pink toenails, and always reading or surfing the web. I can’t stop singing “Cosmic Love” by Florence + the Machine, which also reminds me of “Water for Elephants” the book and movie (OBSESSED!). {Has anyone seen it yet? I’m just dyyyying to get to the movies!}
2. What do you make and how did you get into this?
I think I was about 3 years old and I remember my Opa had a garage packed full of pieces. There was furniture, tools, church pews, fly fishing gear that he made himself. Everything was amazing, and especially since it was a part of my Opa. I have always remembered that feeling of seeing something old and unwanted, I just wanted to take it all home and make it beautiful again. I had always shopped at Goodwill and local antique stores, because they have the best stuff. My vintage obsession has been pretty well engrained in me from the start.
Vintage goods waiting to be cleaned up and listed for Camp Moxie
I have also loved being crafty. I blame my mother. My specialty craft lies in customizing tote bags. I’ve done tons for friends and family, and they all loved them. So here I am, diving on in!
3. Why did you name your shop Camp Moxie?
mox-ie {mok-see}
noun - Slang
1. vigor; verve; pep.
2. courage and aggressiveness; nerve.
3. skill; know-how

How awesome is that definition? I love the vintage term, which ties into my vintage-y feel. I also want my shop to be a retreat. Even though I’m just starting out online, I feel that I want my brand to be known as a place for all to come and feel inspired and fresh. One day, I’d be ecstatic to have a physical business. The physical space will really let you into my creative world. So, Camp Moxie just stuck after doodles and thesaurus references, and I love it!

4. Where and when do you like to create?
I am so, so blessed to be able to have my own studio at home. I could lock myself in there for days! It’s the one, over-girly, pretty-smelling, quiet spot in the house, and it’s all mine. I can run up and create whenever the feeling strikes. I just love any free time to let my creativity soar!
5. What or who inspires you? 
For the what: Colors, smells, tastes, textures… I love when my senses are stimulated in any combination of those items. My brain will open up wide at that point.

For the who: I love gutsy women. That is a pretty general “who”, but who doesn’t love a little girl power. Especially someone who will just put themselves out there. Fabulous!

6. What’s the best thing you’ve made so far?
Ohhhhh, tough one... I have made sooo soooooo many things. I really love this canvas I made for my studio. The quote, “To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” totally sets me straight every time I look at it.
7. When you create what do you like to drink, snack on, listen to, or watch?
Normally, I have Pandora blasting, a citrus candle burning, and Diet Coke in hand. On Pandora, I love the stations with Mumford and Sons, Florence + the Machine, Dave Matthews, or Kings of Leon. I’ve tried catching up on Dexter while working, but let’s face it, Dexter deserves your full attention. TV while I work is no bueno.

8. What skills would you love to learn and who would you like to be your teacher?
I would love to learn awesome PhotoShop skills, photography skills… anything more with the photography media. Right now, I have very limited experience with most of those things. I would be so grateful to anyone who was patient enough to teach me!

9. What are you working on now and what are your goals for the future?
Currently, I’m working on building a solid brand with Camp Moxie. This is my dream, and other baby. My heart is set on making this business a success, and having my name out there. While Camp Moxie is just about to come out, I only hope that the store will grow into a physical location. I just get so happy thinking about it!! eeek! (Happy scream… really excited!)

10. What are your favorite websites? 
First off, I love all the places where you can find me (see question 11). I really want to network further and would love to be your friends on any of those listed below!!

I also love:
Poppytalk: Inspiration every single day!! Love!
A Beautiful Mess: How cute is Elsie? Gotta love her!
Under the Sycamore: I love how Ashley Campbell is a real mom, who shares her real passions. It’s great to see mom-power, specifically positive inspiration. She’s a great reminder to both duties.

11. Where can we find you online?
Shop | Blog | Twitter | Flickr  (Kind of lame right now, but will sooo be on this more!) | Pinterest (Same with the lame status)

Thanks Louana for having me stop by!! It’s been a blast!! XOXO

Next Week: Bronze Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment