Friday, October 21, 2011

THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS PT2 - union jack set

Part 2 of the UNION JACK DINING SET


I custom painted the seats of these jack chairs.


The fabric is washed drop cloth and stapled in place.


I tested many different fabric paints including a spray that was disastrous.
In the end the cheapest method had the best results with some experimenting.


I ended up using regular craft paint, which does leave a horribly rough texture


But when you sanded it, it leaves the painted areas soft to the touch and looking like denim.


Here you can see I played with the pattern a bit to work with the angle of the seat.



I used artist brushes and kept the brush strokes angled away from the edges to help avoid bleeding.


Above you can see the navy is sanded but the red has not been yet.


RED LEFT is SANDED - RED RIGHT is not SANDED


I even put a completed sample thru the washing machine and nothing happened.


But I did screw up the pattern on 2 chairs.
Can you see where?


These chairs are going on a special trip that I'll share with you soon.

Part 1 of *THE CAPTAIN AND HIS SOLDIERS* can be found here
Sharing at:
Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday's Best Linky Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment