Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rainbow cupcakes


I'm not really good in the kitchen, so when I try out things I need all the help I can get. As you can see Betty Crocker was very helpful with this project:
The recipe on the back of the box just called for egg whites, but I'm not good at separating the yolk from the white, so I bought a carton of egg whites at the supermarket and used that instead. I made the batter and divided it over six bowls:
I added tiny amounts of food coloring (this stuff is really strong) to each bowl to create these six different colors:
I spooned the batter into cupcake papers. I wanted all six colors in each cupcake, so I ended up overflowing the papers with way too much batter:
Which resulted in these "exploded" but colorful cupcakes:
I smeared some frosting on top, and my rainbow cupcakes were done:
The cupcakes were exceptionally fragile (I wonder if that was because of those egg whites from a container), and when I tried taking out the exploded cupcakes from the baking pan some of the tops broke off. Which was unfortunate but those broken cupcakes did show how pretty they were on the inside:
The fragile cupcakes made frosting very difficult as well. Just a little push with the frosting spoon was enough to break off parts of cupcake. But as you can see from the pictures I did end up with several pretty cupcakes and they taste pretty good too! I made more than enough to share, so if you want one just come and get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment