Sunday, April 17, 2011

BUFFED BUFFET - black and faux seal antique buffet

The veneer was cracked, lifting, and missing on the
 top surface of this old buffet when we got it.
It was also in it's original brown stained finish.
*Sorry no before pictures* 


The mirror was purchased at a local antique store,
 and was the perfect size to match up with the buffet.
It was gold and the elaborate decorations were
 chipped and broken.
*Sorry no before photos*


I had removed all the veneer on the top of the buffet
 a year earlier but the gouges and missing wood was
 just not going to match with the sleek black look I
 was now wanting.
The day I was working on the top I had gotten
 interrupted by the cable man come to rewire some
 connections, and really that was the main cause for
 the end result of what you see in these photos.


It was one of those trial and error projects.

In a moment of surprise this faux seal skin look magically
appeared on the top. Some have compared it to marble.  

I'm going to explain how the top was finished in
 point form in the hopes it is easier to follow:
  1. I filled the gouges with white wood filler
  2. then painted it black
  3. next spray painted with metallic silver
  4. then belt sanded the whole surface
  5. 6 layers of clear coat

I had started spraying the metallic silver on the top
 over the black thinking if I don't like it the acetone
 is right handy to wipe it off. I had forgotten about
 the cable man coming and when he arrived in the
 middle of this process I had to walk away without
 seeing what it looked like. Well once he was done
 the paint was also now dryish. I hated it! It looked
 tacky! In my anger I grabbed the belt sander with a
 35 grit belt (very coarse) and started trying to
 remove everything. This is when this beautiful
 finish started to come thru. 

You can find more piece finished in black here.

Sharing this mistake at:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialPhotobucketPhotobucketHookingupwithHoHFurniture Feature FridaysLINKPARTYBUTTON

No comments:

Post a Comment