Sunday, April 3, 2011

A HUSBAND, AN ANTIQUE, AND A POST CARD - aqua chest of drawers

Just a quick peek for you.

George bought a little antique dresser last week and very
excitedly arrived home with it in his van anxious to show me.

Looking at it in the back of the van, I have to admit
 I was perplexed because it looked nice as is.
 I had assumed it was for me to work on.
He knows my motto
"if it's not broke don't fix it"


It had rich color in the wood, beautiful hardware
 but once I get closer I realized how short it was,
 at about 27". We have been looking for a special
 piece for ourselves to fit along a low window.
Now this started to make sense, however it also has
 to be very shallow which this was not at 20" deep.
NOT GONNA WORK FOR US
i love you george
 I have been toying with the idea of turquoise
 and now I have to come up with a plan to refurbish
 the thing.  Of course the first thing was
 to put some casters back on it to give it a bit more
 stature. Then George shows me some repairs that it
 needed. The insides of the cabinet and drawers
 definitely would benefit from attention. The top
 surface varnish was bubbled all over.
Okay this is sounding better, I like to be needed.

But I didn't have a clear vision and it was sitting in the middle of my work space and something
had to happen. The top couldn't be painted without being stripped.
If I have to strip it I want to stain it dark walnut. That's a start! That will go with turquoise.
So I removed the top to take outside to do the dirty work.
When removing it I found something, half a post card stuck
 between the frame and the top.


Addresser was:
Mr David Brown
1256 Davie St.
Vancouver BC
It reads "arrived at _____ johston. He is a big boy,
 was asking for you. The picture on this card is the
 hotel I stayed at in NY"
signed: "Father"


 See the post mark?

 1919

Okay now back to the dresser


 Trial and Error ....
I finally ended with something I adore ... 




Let me know what you think ....

I'm sharing at:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialThe Girl CreativeSumo's Sweet Stuff
Designer GardenMy Backyard Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment